It comes as the Hollywood actor has resumed filming Rust at the Yellowstone Film Ranch in Montana, 18 months after Halyna Hutchins was shot on set.
By Lucia Binding, journalist @luciabinding
Thursday April 20, 2023 9:34 PM, United Kingdom
All criminal charges against actor Alec Baldwin for the shooting death of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins on the set of the movie Rust have been dropped.
Prosecutors in Santa Fe, in the US state of New Mexico, had pursued two charges of manslaughter against the 65-year-old Hollywood star.
There are still at least five civil cases pending against Baudouin and Rust producers.
A statement from Baldwin’s lawyers, Luke Nikas and Alex Spiro, said: “We are pleased with the decision to close the case against Alec Baldwin and we encourage a proper investigation into the facts and circumstances of this tragic accident.”
However, prosecutors are pursuing the manslaughter charges against weapons supervisor Hannah Gutierrez-Reed. She pleaded not guilty.
Ms Hutchins, 42, was shot and killed on October 21, 2021, while filming at Bonanza Creek Ranch.
Baldwin was rehearsing with a gun for a scene when the gun went off, killing Ms Hutchins and injuring director Joel Souza.
Melina Spadone, lawyer for Rust Movie Productions, exclusively told Sky News: “We have every confidence in the justice system and that the cause of Halyna’s death will be fully investigated.
“Alec is a consummate professional… for everyone this is a good result in the sense that we believe justice has been served.
It comes as Baldwin resumed filming Rust at the Yellowstone Film Ranch in Montana, 18 months later. Halyna Hutchins was shot on set.
The production company finalized a settlement last month with New Mexico workplace safety regulars over ‘serious’ breaches and agreed to a $100,000 (£80,000) fine to resolve a scathing safety review which detailed the ignored complaints and misfires on set before Ms. Hutchins was killed.
Earlier this month, Baldwin sought legal action from Ms Hutchins’ parents and sister be dismissed by a judge.
The actor said that Olga Solovey, Anatolii Androsovych and Svetlana Zemko filed the suit in february to “get compensation”.
It alleges battery, negligence, intentional infliction of emotional distress and loss of consortium, which is when a plaintiff seeks compensation for damages to certain relationships on which they mutually depend.
Alec Baldwin resumes filming Rust
Prosecutors deny claim that authorities destroyed a gun while filming Rust
Dave Halls, the first assistant director on the set, was given a suspended sentence last month after pleading guilty to careless use of a deadly weapon. Prosecutors said he was responsible for set security.
Baldwin was pointing a gun at Ms Hutchins during a rehearsal when the gun went off.
The actor claimed the gun went off accidentally and he didn’t pull the trigger.
However, an FBI forensic report revealed that the gun could not have fired unless the trigger was pulled.
The star has repeatedly denied any wrongdoing and previously pleaded not guilty to the two manslaughter charges which have now been dropped.
The actor was also sued by Ms Hutchins’ husband Matthew Hutchins, their son and their estate, alleging reckless behavior and cost-cutting led to his death.
A settlement was reached out of court in October 2022.
Three crew members are also among those who have taken legal actionclaiming they had suffered from anxiety and symptoms of post-traumatic stress disorder since the shooting.
#Alec #Baldwin #criminal #charges #actor #fatal #shooting #Rust #set #dropped