Meghan Markle was ‘never likely’ to attend King Charles’ coronation next month after being placed in an ‘impossible position’. It was announced earlier this week that after weeks of speculation Prince Harry will attend the historic event while Meghan remains in America with their two children – Prince Archie and Princess Lilibet.
Palace insiders told the Mirror that Harry spent weeks chatting with aides after signaling his intention to travel to the UK. Royal sources added to the post that the signs were there for Meghan to skip the coronation as she was apparently upset at their children’s exclusion from the ceremony.
The couple’s biographer, Omid Scobie, confirmed Archie’s birthday “played a part in the decision” and he expected it to be “a fairly quick trip to the UK” for Harry.
A royal source added to The Mirror: “The truth is that the Duchess was never likely to attend the coronation. The mood in California was that she felt increasingly placed in an impossible position and there is some relief that the situation is resolved after so much speculation and uncertainty.
“It’s one thing to attend the late Queen’s funeral out of respect for Her Majesty, but quite another to witness the start of a new reign.”
Another source said Palace staff members were ‘cheered that the circus isn’t coming to town’, while someone else expressed sympathy for Meghan saying: ‘She’s really damned if she does. done and damned if she doesn’t. As a mother, she’s probably doing the right thing for her young children, which should be applauded.
Harry’s stay in the UK will be brief before returning to the US to enjoy his son’s fourth birthday celebrations. The Duke will only attend the ceremony and will not take part in any other role at the coronation over the three-day bank holiday weekend.
It is believed to be the first time Harry will be with his family since the Queen’s funeral last year, as well as the first time he will see Charles and Prince William since his Spare memoir was published.
The coronation is just three weeks away and has reportedly descended into backstage chaos as sources say the rehearsal has been “significantly dragged out”.
Seating plans have still not been decided and builders have been drafted to build a ramp over fears the king could stumble in his heavy ceremonial robes while walking to his throne chair after being crowned . Buckingham Palace denied the allegations, with aides insisting everything was fine.
Meanwhile, security measures for the King’s coronation will be assessed on a ‘case by case’ basis in a ‘huge police operation’ – with Harry returning to the UK for the historic occasion. One of the main worries for Harry, 38, is the ongoing issue of his personal safety when traveling in the UK.
Police Minister Chris Philp said yesterday (THURSDAY) he hoped the high-profile coronation of Charles and the Queen Consort would be similar to the ‘fantastic’ handling of the late Queen’s funeral.
Mr Philp said the police did a ‘fantastic job’ at the late Queen’s funeral, adding: ‘We will work to ensure we have a similar successful operation.
More than 2,000 guests will gather at the Abbey on May 6 to witness the nation’s first coronation in 70 years, with foreign dignitaries including first lady Jill Biden.
Get the latest celebrity gossip and TV news straight to your inbox. Sign up for our daily Showbiz newsletter here.
#Meghan #intention #coronation #impossible #position